Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I May Hate Most People, But...


That's a picture of the crowd at the last Studio B show I went to in February (via some dude's flickr). Pretty horrifying, right? That's because the Teenagers were playing (I came for the Hot Chip DJ set, I swear), so all the under-21s came down to Greenpoint in their finest asshole gear. See, it's really hard for me to go to shows like this because I want to punch everyone ever in the face. As I've said before, the same goes for a Girl Talk show. Then again, the more I thought about it, the more I realized every sort of event I go to has a crowd I hate.

-Dance Shows: See above. Since that picture there's the added element of Rachel Ray terrorist scarves.

-Rock Shows: The dirtier breed of hipsters trying too hard. Still wearing flannel in the summer.

-Readings: People that dress like John Hodgman and Miranda July and only want to speak with you if you're somebody in the lit world or got an MFA from somewhere fancy.

-Free, Public Events: Children, moochers. I rant about children too much so I'll save it. Moochers are usually similar to the people you find at rock shows, mainly in that they're looking to act poor by going to free stuff since their trust funds will only carry them so far!

Lately, there's been a disturbing trend where my friends and I can't seem to enjoy ourselves because of the crowd around us. Are we embarrassed to be seen with them? Is it just a case of hating bad manners? Either way, it's probably unhealthy to get so worked up about it. If some douchebag waving his hands around for five minutes to find a friend, or a literary dude tries really hard to suck up to Nam Le, does it change the movie I'm watching, the band I'm seeing? It shouldn't, but it does.

Another thing I should be keeping in mind is that I'm probably focusing on a small portion of the crowd. Others may resemble the people I hate so much, but for the most part people go out to have a good time. Maybe I should try that part out again and quit acting like a cranky old man. What do you think? Get off my lawn!

Deer Tick - Standing At the Threshold

1 comments:

zer0esandones said...

Meag Barry be in dat pic