Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Clip Show



Taken from the side of the road near the top of Sonoma Mountain. Sadly this beautiful mountain is completely fenced in and blanketed with No Trespassing signs and covered with multi-million dollar homes and vineyards, occupied by selfish, rich, yuppy assholes. The best views in all of Petaluma can be found on this mountain, but apparently only the wealthy are allowed to enojoy these views. - Josh Sommers

That was one of the first results when I did a Google image search of "rich asshole".

Last week I started freaking out a lot after reading this thing Gawker wrote. Basically it's really hard to get a job in publishing/media in New York (duh) because most of the desired jobs and internships go to the sons and daughters of rich, connected assholes (again, duh). So I guess those are the main options to get a job, which is depressing but maybe a little encouraging at the same time. After thinking about it, I guess I'm not as worried as some because of the whole "New York advantage" (vomit).
I don't think I've taken either of my internships thinking "oh gee, this will look great on my resume"...I applied to both because I was passionate about them and the things they're doing. In retrospect, sure it might prepare for a job of some sort. Now, I'm just a little wary of the publishing industry as a result of my APS internship. This is mainly because of the social aspect of it all, ie people not wanting to acknowledge your existence at a party or dinner function if you're a lowly intern or editorial assistant. Fuck you and your $40k/year job, you monstrous bastard! Wow, where did that come from? I might still look for publishing jobs, but I'm a little nervous about it. I love literature, I love books, I love reading and writing. But will that be something I do on my own terms, my own time? It probably will, and it won't pay me a cent. Not that I should care.
I guess I felt better thinking about the Gawker thing since I now have clips that aren't fiction or stupid humor things thanks to Flavorpill. I write about things of all sorts, in short bursts! And frankly, I'm liking it a lot. I'm even starting to get interested in freelancing despite being unsure of what to write about (thus,blogging). It's been a good excercise, and a lot less soul-crushing than writing for Brijit was.
Some recent ones:
The Hold Steady
Wet Hot American Summer
Devo
Shearwater
I graduate in a year. Maybe I should hold off on worrying for a few months longer. Look out for that future nervous breakdown post!
No Age - It's Oh So Quiet (Bjork Cover)

0 comments: