Monday, June 23, 2008

I've Found the World So New


I spent the last four days at my old home in Avon, Connecticut. Now that I live in New York City, I've come to enjoy visiting there for the same reason I despised living there: having nothing to do. Waking up each morning, I could sleep in, enjoy a cup of coffee, and turn my brain off while watching a movie without worrying that there was something else I should be doing. Here are some notes from a weekend of doing nothing.

-Is there anything more miserable than a graduation ceremony? But younger sister's had something like 8 (!) speakers, and seemed about twice as long as my own. Every speech had a line that started "To quote the great...". But the celebration was fun, lots of food and drink, the usual thing you'd expect from a family celebrating the end of boring high school graduation ceremonies.

-Mindless movies thrive in suburbia specifically because there is nothing to do. I finally saw Iron Man, which is perfect at what it aims to be: a fun action flick with some cool explosions and effects. And hey, sober Robert Downey Jr. is pretty funny! Meanwhile, I finally got around to catching Ocean's Thirteen. Ocean's Eleven was my favorite movie in high school, but Ocean's Twelve was a bit of a disaster since the characters became the actors they were played by. The main reason Thirteen works better than Twelve is a return to having actual characters, and even an awesome subplot involving Casey Affleck starting a worker's strike at Mexican manufacturing company. Also, Matt Damon's father is totally played by Gob's surrogate dad!

-Bowling? Yes, bowling. I went to an alley in Torrington that is basically everything that Gutter in Greenpoint wishes it was. We don't know who won because we don't know how to score bowling with a pen and paper. Damn technology! Also, cheap beer! This was followed up with a trip to a nearby 24 hour diner. We are All-American kids!

-Nature. Trees and stuff. It's great.

-Errands without a sense of urgency. I got a new bank account and bought some sushi at a grocery store. Also, Landshark has joined the canon of summer beers, despite the douche factor of being associate with Jimmy Buffet.

While it was good to get away from the city and relax, I'm glad to be back. I'm still young, and I'm still ready to savor it every day. I move to Ridgewood on Saturday.

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

0 comments: